Resumes should always be written with a specific job opportunity in mind. However, there are some general rules that can guide you in the creation and organization of your resume:
- Use 10 to 12 size, professional style font (nothing colorful or fancy)
- Keep your resume to one page. Check out the W.H.O. Method for writing your resume.
- List your academic and professional experiences in reverse chronological order
- Include job title, organization, location, date, and a description of the skills you gained from each experience
- Be positive and honest about your experience, skills and capabilities
- Proofread for flawless punctuation, grammar and syntax
- Start each bullet point with meaningful and descriptive action verbs (see list)
- To create the document that best connects you to the specific employers make sure to add key words from the qualifications section of a posting as well as the job description
- Always keep in mind that this is an "ad" for what you can do for the employer, not a list of your past jobs
- Click here for a sample resume.
The Center for Career Planning and Internships provides Whittier students with an exclusive resume-building software program called Optimal Resume. This program allows you to create high impact resumes based on your major and career goals. You can also create and manage unlimited resumes, depending on the position in which you are applying. Workshops are provided each semester on the best use of this system. Please visit our schedule of events to RSVP for the next one. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org