The Funding Policies of the Associated Students of Whittier College (ASWC) are intended to help student organizations best manage the event planning process. As a general rule, a funding request form - available below - is due by noon on Sunday, the day before regularly scheduled Senate meetings.
- Funding Request Link
- ASWC Funding Code
- After-Event Funding Report (must be completed if allocated funding)
- Has your group been allocated funding from ASWC? Read the Allocated Funding FAQ Sheet for what to do next.
- February 3: First Senate Meeting
- March 10: Sixth Senate Meeting (last meeting to request funding over $2,500)
- April 14: Tenth Senate Meeting (last meeting to request funding over $500)
- April 28: Last Senate Meeting until September 8
ASWC Funding Overview
Each academic year all full-time undergraduate Whittier College students (determined by the Registrar's Office) pay a $240 student activity fee ($120 per semester) which is managed by ASWC.
In accordance with the ASWC Constitution and Bylaws the fees are divided in the following ways:
- 35% to the Media Council
- 65% to the General Body Fund. The General Body Fund is then further broken down as follows: 25% to the Program Board; 10% to the Operational Budget; $750 to each of the following Constituent Bodies: Inter-Club Council (ICC), Inter-Society (ISC), Minority Caucus (MC), Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC), Freshman Class Council (FCC), and Social Justice Coalition (SJC) for a total of $9,000 per year ($4,500 per semester).
The remaining funds are distributed to student clubs and organizations who request the funding at senate meetings (Mondays at 7:00pm in Villalobos Hall) and any leftover funds are transferred to the reserve account at the end of the fiscal year and used for permanent campus improvements. The club and organization funding requests are divided into three categories: large events (over $2,500), medium events ($500 - $2,499.99), and small events (under $500) in order to set aside funds for all levels of events to be funded.
The following is a list of a few projects funded by ASWC:
- The weekly printing of the Quaker Campus Newspaper now in its 100th year!
- The yearly printing of the Acropolis Yearbook for all graduating seniors
- The Readership Program which delivers USA Today and LA Times to the Residence Halls and Academic Buildings every day!
- The Direct TV and upkeep of the Ettinger Student Lounge (next to The Spot)
- The yearly printing of the Literature Review
- The 91 lockers used by Commuter Students through-out the year
- Contributions to the Gregory Gym Aquatic Complex
- Recognition of Faculty and Staff by awarding the Key to the College, Richard B Harvey, and the Marilyn Veich Awards during Honors Convocation
- Supporting student clubs/organizations every year for academic, social, and cultural events, inductions, dances, performances, lectures, presentations, intramurals, trips, workshops, as well as campus improvements.
To read ASWC's General Fund allocations for Spring and Fall 2012, click here.
All students are eligible to join the ASWC Budget Committee. To learn more, please contact:
562.907.4200 ext. 5023