Requesting Assistance and Resources


When to Submit CARE form

Faculty, staff, students, and other members of the Whittier College community are encouraged to alert the CARE Team concerning behaviors or incidents by submitting a CARE Form

Concerns can include but are not limited to

  • Family concerns or challenges
  • Patterns of significant interpersonal conflict
  • Traumatic experience/s
  • Unresolved financial challenges 
  • Stressful work/life balance 
  • Social skills/ campus community integration
  • Unmet basic needs 
  • Illness
  • Classroom disruption

Although submissions are not reviewed outside regular business hours, all submissions are promptly reviewed and addressed by a member of the CARE team. If you have questions or would like to consult, please contact Director of CARE and Case Management Marysol Mendoza at or 562.907.5118.

​Academic Support Referral

The CARE Academic Support Referral is specifically for academic-related concerns and can be submitted by faculty, staff, students, and other members of the Whittier College community. Faculty and staff must first attempt to contact the student directly via email, in-person, or phone call, before submitting this form. 

Concerns can include but are not limited to

  • Attendance
  • Writing
  • Participation/engagement
  • Late/missing assignments
  • Exam/quiz scores
  • Quantitative skills
  • Class preparation
  • Time management

If you have questions or would like to consult, please contact Associate Director of Center for Academic Support Jessica Hernandez,

Requesting Additional Resources

Technology Support Form

The College has a limited number of Windows laptops available for annual use during the academic year. Students in need of equipment or software to successfully complete coursework may request it by using the Technology Request Form.

Poet Pantry Form

The Poet Pantry provides weekly food and hygiene products for students in need of additional assistance free of charge. For information on the Poet Pantry's current hours, policies, and procedures, please email CARE at

To sign up for the Poet Pantry for the 2022-2023 academic year, please fill out the Poet Pantry Intake Form prior to entering the Poet Pantry.

Emergency Funds Request Form

Undergraduate students currently enrolled at Whittier College may request funds for an emergency situation under compelling circumstances that jeopardize their ability to successfully continue in school.

Student Emergency Funds will be provided in the form of a grant and will typically range from $100 to $500, depending on the student's case and need. Priority for student emergency funds will be given to cases with urgent needs, extreme hardship, and/or lack of alternative options. A student will be eligible to receive emergency funds twice within a four-year time period, but only once per academic year while attending Whittier College.

Visit My.Whittier for full details on how to apply for emergency funds. To apply for Emergency Funds, fill out the Emergency Funds Request Form. If you are in financial distress, contact the Economic Crisis Committee at or 562.907.4233.

Emergency funds may be used to cover​

  • Food insecurity
  • Transportation including car repairs
  • Emergency healthcare expenses that are not covered by insurance (i.e. co-pays)
  • Loss of child care
  • Travel in the case of the death or illness of an immediate family member
  • Books (under special circumstances)
  • Imminent utility shut-off due to overdue payments
  • Other special circumstances to be determined by the review committee

​Emergency funds may NOT be used to cover

  • Tuition
  • Fees
  • Room and Board
  • Optional programs
  • Entertainment
  • Recreation
  • Non-emergency travel
  • Other non-essential expenses

Basic Needs Request Form

The Basic Needs Request Form provides the opportunity for students to request 

  • Short-Term Emergency Housing Assistance
  • Transportation
  • Meal Vouchers 

Short-Term Emergency Housing Assistance Program

Provides students experiencing housing instability and displacement with temporary Housing and Residential Life to ensure a student’s safety and wellbeing as they acquire permanent and secure housing. Placement in the Short-Term Emergency Housing is limited to a one to two (1-2) week stay, pending space availability. 

Transportation Assistance 

Whittier College's Transportation Assistance program, Go Whittier!, provides access to public transportation during the academic year by partnering with Metro to distribute TAP cards to students who rely on public transportation.

​The Metro TAP Card grants the holder access to 26 Transit Systems across LA County.

​Full-time Whittier College students may request Go Whittier! Transportation funds to cover the monthly cost of a TAP card for the length of each semester. Some students may qualify for free access to public transportation without the need for Go Whittier! Funds.

Meal Voucher Program

The meal voucher program ensures that Whittier students receive nutrition and sustenance during times of hardship. Most students are eligible to apply to this program for up to 2 semesters, receiving a maximum of 5 vouchers each semester.

Fill out the Basic Needs Request Form to request basic needs. If you have questions or would like to follow up, please send us an email at or to speak to the Director of CARE contact Marysol Mendoza,, 562.907.5118.

Emergency Mental Health Support Funds

Through the support of a generous donor, the Critical Mental Health Accessibility Program has been developed to provide immediate, limited funds to support students in crisis. Examples of support may include a psychotropic medication refill, an office visit co-pay for psychological or psychiatric care, or transportation to an appointment. Documentation of expenses is required. To apply for funding, complete this application.