Established through a gift from Whittier College Trustee James R. Parks, The James R. Parks Prizes aim to inspire talented students to pursue a career in business and to provide a scholarship to replace loans with grant funding, thereby helping to reduce students' loan burden.
They are to be awarded to students who, in the judgment of the faculty, exhibit a "substantial spark" revealing outstanding potential as a leader in the business community upon graduation. Successful applicants will demonstrate drive, energy, and motivation, which may be indicated through a variety of traditional and non-traditional qualities. Parks Prizes may be awarded to first-years and sophomores who have declared or intend to declare a major in Business Administration. Preference will be given to students who have shown an aptitude for and interest in accounting and/or students with financial need.
- First-Year or Sophomore standing
- Major in Business Administration
- Demonstrate either academic ability in financial disciplines or demonstrated leadership skills on campus.
- Applicants must have taken and done well in relevant courses by the end of the spring semester during which he/she is chosen for the award.
Parks Prize Program Benefits
- A stipend of $1,000.00 (to be used at the student’s discretion).
- Some students may be eligible for a financial award to be applied towards their tuition.
- Unofficial academic transcripts
- Current semester Academic Progress Report.
- In 500 words or less, tell us about yourself, and explain why you have declared (or intend to declare) Business Administration as your major, what your future professional goals are, and how you will benefit from the Parks Prize both personally and professionally.
Parks Prize Advisors
Dr. Lana Nino
Dr. Fatos Radoniqi
Past Parks Prize Recipients