Circulation and Your Library Account Information
Your Library Account
You may access your library circulation account from the My Account link on the Library website homepage, or from the Library Catalog. To login you will need to supply your name and barcode number, located on the back of your Whittier College ID card. Once logged in, you will be able to view materials you have borrowed from the library, renew outstanding items, modify personal information, and more.
All library users must present a valid Whittier College ID card or library courtesy card to check out materials. Loss or theft of an identification card should be reported immediately to the Circulation Desk.
Whittier College students, faculty, and staff have access to materials onsite and through our LINK+ and ILL partnerships.
Other individuals who wish to use the general library collection may apply for a Courtesy Card. Courtesy cards enable non-Whittier College users to check out materials from the Library but do not confer printing and copying privileges, interlibrary loan services, or off-campus database access. The annual fee for courtesy cards is $75 per individual, or $125 for a shared card for married couples and domestic partners. Courtesy card holders may check out up to 3 books and/or DVDs at one time.
The following patrons are entitled to a free courtesy card, which expires at the end of the school year in which it is issued: Whittier Law School students and faculty; CSUF students (with a valid ID and a completed form from CSUF); Whittier-area teachers with proof of their institutional affiliation; Faculty from other colleges with proof of their institutional affiliation; Whittier clergy; and Whittier College and Law School alumni, Whittier College sponsors, and John Greenleaf Society members. Eligible patrons may renew their courtesy card membership for free at the end of each school year.
For more about courtesy cards and non-Whittier College user expectations, please consult our Non-Whittier College Users & Courtesy Cards policy document.
Items checked out on a personal Whittier College identification card remain the responsibility of the individual named on that card. Items checked to an individual must be returned in good condition, without evidence of defacement, mutilation, or water damage. Patrons who return books damaged beyond repair will be checked a $75 replacement fee.
Loan Periods and Renewals
Loan Period for Students and Staff
- General Collection Books: 28 days with 4 renewals; Fines: no daily fines (see below for overdue penalties)
- LINK+: 3 weeks; 1 renewal; Fines: $1/day
- ILL: 3 weeks; renewals at the discretion of the lending library; Fines: $1/day
- Reserve Materials: 2 hours in-library use only, 2 hours overnight, 4 hours in-library use only, 4 hours overnight; 1 renewal; Fines: $5/hour
- DVDs: 7 day loan; 1 renewal; Fines: no daily fines
Loan Period for Faculty
- General Collection Books: 1 school year (all materials due at the end of the spring semester)
- LINK+: 3 weeks; 1 renewal
- ILL: 3 weeks; renewals at the discretion of the lending library
- DVDs: 7 day loan, 1 renewal
Please note that some materials will not circulate. Some examples of materials that do NOT circulate are reference books, special collections materials, and periodicals. Courtesy Card holders do not have borrowing privileges for LINK+, ILL, or media materials.
Item Check-out Limits
- Students, faculty and staff: Unlimited number from the general collection
- Courtesy card holders: 3 items at one time
Borrowers are responsible for renewing books they have checked out on or before the due date to avoid overdue fines. Library materials may be renewed in person or online. If you have trouble with the online renewal function, contact a Library staff member.
Please note: Interlibrary Loan (ILL) items can only be renewed at the discretion of the lending library. ILL items cannot be renewed online. Contact Cindy Bessler, 562.464.4538, 3 days prior to your checked out item's due date, for renewal information.
At this time, we do not place holds on materials.
Overdue Penalties and Lost Book Fees
Wardman Library does not charge daily fines for overdue books and DVDs in the general collection.
For most items, courtesy notices will be sent to the user’s email account two days before an item’s due date; overdue notices will be sent regularly thereafter (Wardman Library assumes no responsibility for non-receipt of these notices). After a final overdue notice is sent, replacement charges will be submitted to the Business Office.
Replacement charges for Whittier College books will total a minimum of $75 per item (the Library reserves the right to charge patrons the cost of the item, if it is higher). Patrons who return overdue books between 21 and 180 days after the due date may be eligible for a $50 refund for each overdue item.
LINK+ and Interlibrary Loan items not returned within 21 days of the due date will result in the restriction of Library privileges until the items are returned or the issue is resolved.
For additional information, please contact the Circulation Supervisor, Cindy Bessler, Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. either in-person, by telephone 562.464.4538, or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Group Study Rooms
Located on the Mezzanine and Top Floor, Wardman Library’s study rooms are great locations to brainstorm, share ideas, and work in groups. All study rooms have whiteboards and some are equipped with HD displays. Dry erase markers and erasers are available for checkout at the Circulation Desk.
All eleven group study rooms are available for check out at the Circulation Desk. Patrons who check out a study room will be able to use the room for up to four hours. While patrons may temporarily use a room without checking it out, they will be asked to leave if another party checks out the room. Therefore, we encourage any group to check out a study room if they wish to use one.
Study Room Policies
A group study room may be checked out for up to four hours. The check out card must be returned to the Circulation Desk by the time due. Fines are assessed at $1.00 each hour when the checkout card is not returned on time. Study rooms may not be renewed or reserved at this time.
- Check out is limited to currently enrolled Whittier College students. Whittier College students may use the rooms when not in use, but must vacate the room for users who have checked out the room.
- Only current Whittier College IDs may be used to check out study rooms.
- Cards must remain in the window of the study rooms at all times or else the patron forfeits the right to use the study room.
- Users cannot leave the Library with study room cards. They are intended to stay in the Library the entire time you have the room checked out.
- Users may not move tables and chairs into or remove them from a study room.
- Study rooms are not soundproof, conversations can be heard outside the rooms. Users need to maintain a study/work environment that does not disturb others in the Library.
- Users are responsible for personal property. Do not leave items unattended. The Library is not liable for loss or damage to personal property.
- Users of the study rooms are responsible for leaving the room in a neat and orderly condition. This includes turning off equipment, erasing the whiteboard, and disposing of food/drink.
- Disruptive or threatening behavior and vandalism may result in expulsion from a study room.
Violation of these or other applicable Library or college policies may result in temporary or permanent suspension of access to Library study rooms.
Borrowing Privileges for Kaplan Students
Kaplan students enrolled during the Fall and Spring semester may apply for a free Courtesy Card with valid Kaplan ID. Borrowing privileges allow Kaplan students to check out up to 3 books and/or DVDs at one time (including headphones) but do not confer printing and copying privileges, Interlibrary Loan services, or off-campus database access. Students visiting Whittier College exclusively in the summer are not eligible for a Courtesy Card, but are welcome to use Wardman Library's print resources onsite.
Consult our Lending Policies for Kaplan Students guide for additional details. For assistance in obtaining a Courtsey Card, please contact the Circulation Supervisor, Cindy Bessler, Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm either in-person, by telephone 562.464.4538, or by email at email@example.com.
Moodle Backup and Restore Policy
When making major changes to your Moodle site, we encourage you to do a backup. We will be glad to help you with this, or do the backup for you.
If your site content is accidentally deleted, we can help you to restore it. However, we are limiting such service to situations when there is absolutely no other option available (e.g. the whole site is deleted, or student data or forum submissions are gone). There is a cost for this service and the expense to recover lost content will be incurred by the responsible party.
Wi-Fi Access for Visiting Patrons
Whittier College offers wireless Internet access to students, staff, and faculty through the "Poets" Wi-Fi network. Non-College users will need to contact the IT Services Department for visitor Wi-Fi access. IT Services is located on the Ground Floor of the Wardman Library and can be reached at 562.907.4287.