Stress affects the body in many different ways It can cause physical symptoms such as headaches, rapid heartbeat, chest pain, gastric problems, and much more. Too much stress can also cause psychological symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, irritability, feeling anxious, etc.
Stress Warning Signs and Symptoms
- Memory problems
- Inability to concentrate
- Poor judgment
- Seeing only the negative
- Anxious or racing thoughts
- Constant worrying
- Irritability or short temper
- Agitation, inability to relax
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Sense of loneliness and isolation
- Depression or general unhappiness
- Aches and pains
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Nausea, dizziness
- Chest pain, rapid heartbeat
- Loss of sex drive
- Frequent colds
- Eating more or less
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Isolating yourself from others
- Procrastinating or neglecting responsibilities
- Using alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs to relax
- Nervous habits (e.g. nail biting, pacing)
Types of Massage Offered:
- Swedish Combination (relaxation massage)
- Pregnancy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- 30 minutes - $25
- 60 minutes - $50
- 75 minutes - $70
For the pregnancy and deep tissue massage, there is a $10 extra fee beyond the base price. You will be charged the full amount of the massage plus a $15 no-show fee if you fail to cancel 24 hours prior to your appointment time.
Benefits of Massage
- Loosens, relaxes, tones, and stimulates weak, tight and atrophied muscles
- Improves circulation of blood and lymph throughout the body by providing enhanced oxygenation to organs and tissues
- Improves nerve function
- Opens and balances energy flow
- Promotes overall healing and improves immune function
- Alleviates low-back pain and improves overall range of motion
- May lessen anxiety and depression
- Reduces muscle spasms and cramping
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, please call the health center at 562.464.4548. Massages are available to students, faculty, and staff on a bi-monthly schedule when the College is in session. Dates and times available are e-mailed to everyone about one month in advance. The tension that took a lifetime to build usually may not disappear in one treatment, so get massages on a regular basis. The massages are provided by licensed massage therapists.
- Massages make a great gift certificate for a friend, colleague or student employee. Must be employed by Whittier College or be an active student here.
- Students can pay at the time of service or we can bill their student account.
- Faculty and staff must pay at the time of service.
- Checks and cash accepted only. No credit cards.
Prior to your appointment, please download and complete our massage therapy intake form.