Whittier operates local chapters of national honorary academic and leadership societies.
Members of these organizations are selected based on criteria such as grade point average, and, in general, exhibit a keen dedication to scholarship, service, and leadership.
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD)
AKD stands for Alpha Kappa Delta, a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of Athropon Katamannthanein Diakonesin or “to investigate humanity for the purpose of service.”
AKD seeks to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.
AKD offers the following opportunities:
- AKD Undergraduate Student Paper Competition
- AKD Student Travel Grant to the Pacific Sociological Association Annual Meeting
For information on joining AKD, contact Professor Julie Collins-Dogrul at email@example.com.
Awards at Graduation
Outstanding graduating seniors in the major are recognized with the following awards:
- Charles J. Browning Prize in Sociology
- Outstanding Student in Sociology
- Outstanding Student in Sociological Praxis