Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts
For almost three decades, the Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts at Whittier College has offered outstanding programs that reflect the diverse interests and cultural backgrounds of Southern California.
In addition to serving as the home of Whittier College's Department of Theatre, Film, and Communication Arts, The Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts hosts cultural events, community productions, special performances, guest lectures, and holiday events.
Opened in 1990, the facility includes:
- Robinson Theatre, a mainstage with maximum seating capacity of 403, variable by configuration*
- Studio Theatre, a "black box" theatre with maximum seating capacity between 72-100, also variable**
- One traditional classroom
- Five faculty offices
- A Greenroom/Seminar Room
- Two Large Group Dressing Rooms
- Scenic and Costume construction studios
- Main Lobby and DramAlum Lobby
- Founders Room, for meetings and special functions
- Nixon Scholars Center, featuring collection of signed works.
Robinson Theatre - Variable Configuration and Acoustics
- Standard Proscenium Configuration (typical stage arrangement)
- Proscenium with Orchestra Pit
- Proscenium with Extended Apron
- Shakespearean-style Thrust Stage
- "Cabaret-style" with small apron extension, orchestra seating area chairs removed and replaced with tables and chairs
- Ballroom configuration (stage extended throughout entire orchestra seating area)
- Acoustical control via seven (7) green velour banners around the auditorium:
- Banners Down for spoken drama & amplified sound.
- Banners Up for acoustical music (orchestra, voice, piano).
Studio Theatre - Variable Configuration and Acoustics
- Completely movable platform and seating system for a wide variety of seating and performance configurations.
- Unique "Tension Grid" system in Studio Theatre enables complete access to overhead equipment without the use of ladders, while maintaining transparency for stage lighting.
6760 Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA
The Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts is available for special events, concerts, recitals, and other performances. Please complete the form below to get in touch with Whittier's Office of Special Events and Conference Services.