Frequently Asked Questions


What is the Module System? 

Fall semester is now broken into two 7-week modules (sessions) and you will take 2 “regular” courses (that is a 3- or 4-unit course) per module.  You may also take 0-2 unit courses (research, performance, experiential, senior seminars, or internships) in addition to your 2 “regular” courses.  You must have a minimum of 12 units for the fall semester to be full time.

Spring semester now consists of three 7-week modules and begins in January.  You will take two “regular” courses (that is a 3- or 4-unit course) per module. You may also take 0-2-unit courses (research, performance, experiential, senior seminars, or internships) in addition to your two “regular” courses. Again, you must have a minimum of 12 units for the spring semester to be full time.

  • Fall Module 1: Take at least 2 courses
  • Fall Module 2: Take at least 2 courses
  • Spring Module 1: Take at least 2 courses
  • Spring Module 2: Take at least 2 courses
  • Spring Module 3: Take at least 2 courses
  • Total 36 credits

How will my scheduled be migrated to Modules? 

Over the last two weeks, faculty and academic affairs staff have been working to transfer over existing schedules to the Module system.  If the migration to the Module system creates any schedule conflict students will be contacted to resolve any issues.

The process will start with seniors and students with priority registration status and then move to juniors and sophomores.

Academic affairs will be reaching out—via text—to students who have scheduling conflicts. Please ensure to respond promptly if you get a message from the College. 

7/6 -16             Academic Affairs will contact students to resolve schedule conflicts.
7/18                 Continuing students can view schedules online    
7/20-31            All continuing students add/drop change period 
7/27                 First-year and transfer students begin registering for classes  

What is the minimum credit limit for full-time status?

12 credits per semester  

  • Fall 1 and 2 count as “Fall semester” for tuition and registration purposes
  • Spring 1, 2, and 3 count as “Spring semester” for tuition and registration purposes
  • You must enroll in Spring 1
    (Note: Spring 1 is billed with Spring tuition. Midyear grads, especially, take note of this change.)

Maximum credits (unchanged):
36 credits per academic year (all 5 modules combined; does not include summer). Beyond this, over credit limit charges will apply. For scheduling ease, there is no specific credit maximum in any individual module. 

What happened to Jan Term? 

Jan Term has been extended to become a full module during the spring semester. Some travel and experiential courses planned for January 2021 (and the previous May 2020) have been rescheduled for June 2021, while some have been moved to 2022. If you have already applied to one of the courses or if you are interested in traveling, please contact Kerry Gonzales in the Office of International Programs.

What is a "regular" course?

Courses that count for 3 or 4 credits are “regular” courses and will be scheduled five days per week. (Most for 75 minutes each day.). Most students will take two regular courses at a time, though it is also possible to take only one regular course in a given module and still reach full-time status for the semester. 

Exceptions: Exceptions to the 2-course rule—such as a midyear graduate who needs a single spring class to graduate—will be handled individually. Please send questions to 

What is a REP course?

0-2 credit courses. These include RESEARCH courses (such as senior seminars in some programs), EXPERIENTIAL courses (such as internships and athletic courses), and PERFORMANCE courses (choir, music, theater, etc) among others. These courses will be scheduled for fewer days per week.

What is an Extended Module?

Courses that continue across more than one module. Most of these courses are scheduled for either 4:30 p.m. (so that they do not conflict with regularly scheduled courses) or in the evenings. Extended modules fuse together the two fall modules or else two of the spring modules. For these courses, you will receive a grade at the end of the entire course.

Can I take more than two regular courses in a Module?

In most cases, students are best served by taking two regular courses at a time (see the explanation above). If there is a specific situation that makes it desirable to go over this cap, you will need to complete a petition request.

Do I have to take a class in every Module?

This will typically be the case (particularly for fall—you need a minimum of 12 units). It may be the case that you can take all the courses you need and want, and reach the minimum full-time status of 12 credits per semester, without taking a course in a given single module. However, for financial aid reasons, ALL STUDENTS MUST be enrolled in a course in Spring 1. 

How many additional REP classes can I take per Module?

There is no particular limit on Extended Module and REP classes in a module. However, please note that classes beyond 36 credits in an academic year will be charged additional tuition.

How does the module system affect students in the teaching credential program (PICES, undergraduate, and graduate students)?

See the full Whittier College Teacher Education program FAQs below.

Can I add and/or drop courses during each Module?

There will be a brief Add/Drop in the first two days of each module so you can make last-minute adjustments to your schedule. As you consider dropping courses, it is important to meet the minimum full time of 12 credits per semester for the purposes of financial aid.

Which part of my schedule can I adjust during the special summer add/drop?

Seniors, who are already registered for the full year, will be able to adjust their schedules for the full year. All other students will only be making adjustments to courses in the two fall modules, Fall 1 and Fall 2.

Why did you switch to the Module system?

The simple answer is:  because of the pandemic!  

  1. The overwhelming majority of students indicated in surveys that they wanted as much in-person education as possible.  We, therefore, analyzed our classroom space availability in response to COVID-19 health rules and determined that our best option for social distancing was a modular schedule.

  2. The modular format also adds flexibility in the event that stay-at-home orders are required.

  3. Finally, we heard that “Zoom burnout” and overscheduling were significant issues last spring. The modular system helps address this by having you focus on fewer classes at a time, while still being able to take the courses you need during the academic year.

Does my tuition change? 

No. Your tuition and financial aid will be the same for the year assuming you take 36 units or less. Students must maintain a minimum of 12 units during each fall 2020 and winter-spring 2021 terms. 

Will all classes be in-person or online? 

There will be a diversity of offerings due to a wide variety of safety and well-being needs. In addition, different types of classes (lecture, seminar, lab, performance, etc.) will use different strategies to best support learning while meeting social distancing and health-related requirements from the county and state. All faculty are working hard to create flexible curricula that allow courses to be responsive to the health and safety context. Beyond safety, our planning has been guided by two priorities: student learning and growth and getting you to graduation on time. While some classes will be taught remotely, or in a hybrid format, many classes that do have in-person components will also allow for 100% remote options. All classes will embody the kind of interactive learning that you are used to in your in-person Whittier classes. 

I am a first-year/new transfer student, how does this affect me?

Since you do not have an existing schedule in the old system, you will not be affected.

I am concerned that I will not be able to keep up in condensed courses. Will my potential for academic success be negatively impacted?

Faculty are prepared to help you adapt, but there are many advantages in the new system, as we know from the good outcomes students enjoy in existing condensed courses offered in summer and Jan term. With only two main courses at once, fewer projects/exams/reports will overlap, and the stressful finals weeks with 4-5 final assignments will not occur. The 75-minute time periods for classes were chosen to allow for cleaning between classes for in-person courses and allow maximum efficiency for students.


Whittier College Teacher Education Program

Is the Whittier College still offering the same credential programs during 2020-2021?

The Single Subject (Math, PE, Science, ELA, History/Social Science, Spanish), Multiple Subject, and Education Specialist (Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe) credential programs are still being offered. Additionally, the MA Program for already-credentialed teachers is still offered. Hybrid, PICES, and graduate pathways are still available to new and continuing students.

The Whittier College Teacher Education Program continues to work with the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to ensure that all credential programs continue to adhere to state and commission guidelines for accreditation and ensure a high-quality education for all prospective and returning teachers. 

How does the new modular 2020-2021 calendar impact course offerings within the Teacher Education Program?

In order to preserve the Whittier College Teacher Education Program’s scope and sequence for all credential programs, few changes have been made to the 2020-2021 calendar.

During 2020-2021, all credential courses will continue to be offered in the same semester as usual. This means that courses traditionally offered in fall will continue to be offered in fall; courses traditionally offered in spring will continue to be offered in spring. Further, courses will be offered with the same regularity (e.g., once vs. twice per year) as in previous academic years. 

While some courses will be offered in the 7-week module model, most credential courses will be “stretched” across two fall modules or two spring modules. These courses will run for 14 weeks and upon completion students will receive one course grade. Below is a table of courses that will be “stretched” across two fall or two spring modules. 

All courses not listed below will be offered within a particular module (e.g., Fall Module 1, Spring Module 2, etc.). 


Fall 2020

(Stretching Fall Module 1 & Fall Module 2)

Spring 2021

(Stretching Spring Module 1 & Spring Module 2)

EDUC 501
EDUC 402/502
EDUC 403/503
EDUC 506
EDUC 407/507
EDUC 408/508
EDUC 429/520
EDUC 430/530
EDUC 431/531
EDUC 434/534
EDUC 590
EDUC 605
EDUC 520
EDUC 521

EDUC 401
EDUC 500
EDUC 506
EDUC 404/504
EDUC 405/505
All sections of EDUC 409/509
EDUC 432/532
EDUC 433/533
EDUC 436/536
EDUC 605
EDUC 606
EDUC 420/520
EDUC 421/521
  *This list is subject to change.

How will the MA course sequence (EDUC 605 & EDUC 606) be offered during the 2020-2021 academic year?

Eligible graduate students can enroll in this two-course sequence beginning in fall 2020 or spring 2021. For graduate students beginning EDUC 605 infall 2020, they would continue with EDUC 606 in spring 2021. For graduate students beginning EDUC 605 in Spring 2021, they would continue with EDUC 606 in Summer 2021. 

Will credential courses be offered during the winter 2021 module?

No. With the exception of student teaching (EDUC 420/520) and student teaching seminar (EDUC 421/521), credential courses will not be offered during the winter module. Other elective courses offered by Education faculty may be offered and details for those courses will be available with the course schedule. 

Will evening classes still be offered during the 2020-2021 academic year?

Yes. Credential courses typically offered once a week in the evening will continue to be offered on the same night with a new time slot of 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Students interested in learning more about how the course will be run are encouraged to contact the course instructor for more information. Information on fall course registration will be provided to students soon. 

As a graduate student, how many credential courses can I take in a given semester?

Graduate students will still be able to take three credential courses during a given semester. All existing policies regarding credit caps per semester and timing of Student Teaching and MA course sequence (EDUC 605 & EDUC 606) remain in place at this time. Students interested in reviewing their progress towards meeting credential program requirements are encouraged to meet with their formal academic advisor.

As an undergraduate student interested in the hybrid pathway, can I still enroll in courses that run the entire length of fall or spring semester (i.e. 14 weeks)?

Yes. Undergraduate students may still enroll in any credential courses, including those that run for 14 weeks. Please see the Registrar’s Office for additional information regarding how credits for these courses will be counted. Students interested in reviewing their progress towards meeting credential program requirements are encouraged to meet with their formal academic advisor and/or the department’s credential analyst, Jessica Almanza. 

I have been admitted to the PICES program. How do changes to the 2020-2021 academic calendar impact my ability to complete program requirements? 

Like all undergraduates, PICES students are still able to enroll in any credential course, including those that run for 14 weeks. Students interested in reviewing their progress towards meeting credential program requirements are encouraged to meet with their formal academic advisor. 

How will fieldwork be embedded into credential courses during the 2020-2021 academic year?

In order for students to continue to bridge theory and practice, as well as make timely progress towards the mandatory 600 hours of clinical practice required in any credential program, fieldwork will continue during the 2020-2021 academic year. However, in order to maintain the health and safety of all students, fieldwork will look different and include virtual opportunities for courses offered in fall 2020. The Whittier College Teacher Education Program continues to work with our partner districts and our accrediting institution in order to provide our students with the most meaningful field experiences while also adhering to state and local health and safety guidelines. 

How does the new 2020-2021 calendar impact student teaching?

Students eligible to complete the 16-week student teaching experience in either fall 2020 or spring 2021 year will be able to do so. The Whittier College Teacher Education Program continues to work closely with our partner districts to ensure that all prospective student teachers are placed in appropriate classroom settings and are supported by both district and college staff. The deadline to submit an application to student teach in fall 2020 has passed. Students interested in student teaching in spring 2021 are encouraged to speak to the department regarding the application process. 

I am a credentialed teacher enrolling in the Teacher Education Program after completing a CTC-approved induction program. Can I still apply to the MA in Education program and use induction units towards my degree?


How will I get information if state or local policies and practices change with respect to the Teacher Education Program?

As a CTC accredited program, the Whittier College Teacher Education Program continues to receive updates from state and local officials regarding changes to credentialing policies and procedures. Our program strives to maintain quick and consistent communication with all students enrolled in credential courses. We routinely provide updates to our students using their poets email addresses. We also encourage our students to contact us if they have questions or concerns. Students can also contact our team for further assistance.

I am a graduate student. What happens if I decide to take a semester off due to the new modular schedule?

A graduate student interested in taking a leave of absence would need to do so for the entire semester (not only module 1 or module 2), as credential courses are still running in a semester model. 

I participated in housing selection in April/May and selected a room. Do I need to do anything? 

Yes, most returning students who recently completed housing selection and selected rooms will be released from their housing assignments. Those rooms will be converted into single rooms. As such, most students wishing to live on campus will be required to participate in a new housing selection. Students must meet specific criteria to participate in housing selection(see below for more details).

For more information, students are strongly encouraged to check their housing portal inbox to review a communication that was sent on June 10, 2020. 

What if I prefer to commute next year?

The Residency Policy has been lifted for the 2020-2021 academic year. Students who do not want to participate in on-campus housing do not need to participate in housing selection. Please check the confirmation page of your 2020-2021 Housing Application in order to confirm if you are assigned a housing space or not.  

If you are not living on campus, but would like to select a meal plan, email

Am I able to live on campus this year?

Students must meet at least one of the following criteria to be eligible to participate in the new housing selection process:

  • Students who are facing housing security issues
  • International students
  • Out-of-state students
  • Students who live beyond 30 miles

The following students are not required to reselect a room space if they wish to continue living on campus next academic year:

  • Returning students who selected Gender Inclusive Housing or Pet-Friendly Housing options will remain in the communities they selected and will be provided an opportunity to select a single-occupancy room during the upcoming housing selection process. The 24-Hour Quiet Community will not be offered in 2020-21.
  • Students who were approved for a single-occupancy room through Student Disability Services will remain in the rooms selected.

Do I need to complete a new housing application?

Students who are eligible to participate in the new housing selection, and are not exempt, must complete a new housing application.  

How do I complete a housing application?

Students should sign into the housing portal to complete their housing application. Step-by-step instructions will be emailed by June 25.  

Am I able to have a roommate if I want to?

Due to recommendations and guidelines from the CDC and the Department of Public Health, Whittier College is not approving students to have a roommate. All rooms will be classified as a single room. 

What if I need to live on campus but don’t meet the eligibility requirements?

Students who have housing security concerns are encouraged to complete the Housing Security/Housing Selection form for additional consideration. Students who fill this form should also complete a housing application in the event their submission is approved. Returning student submissions must be submitted by Thursday, June 18 (11:59 p.m. PT). New students must submit their requests by Sunday, June 28 (11:59 p.m. PT).  

Students may also contact Case Manager Marysol Mendoza at for assistance with finding alternative housing.

How can I search for housing outside of Whittier College?

Whittier College does not endorse any off-campus housing search engines, landlords, or apartment complexes. However, the following websites and contacts may prove useful during an apartment search. 

Students are encouraged to email Marysol Mendoza ( should they need assistance with developing non-Whittier College housing plans.

Why did Whittier College move to single rooms only?

After considering COVID-19 recommendations and guidelines from the CDC and Public Health, Whittier College determined the safest approach to providing housing to students on campus was to provide only single rooms.  

How much will it cost to live on campus?

Single rooms will be charged at a double room rate. Arbor Ridge will be charged at an Arbor Ridge double rate.  

What resources will be available if I live on campus?

At this time, Whittier College plans to offer regular resources to students living on-campus with consideration of CDC and Public Health guidelines. Residential students will have access to the building study rooms, lounges, and kitchens. Students are strongly encouraged to practice CDC Guidelines in order to avoid potential illness when utilizing these common spaces. Building resources that increase the risk of COVID-19 transmission, such as fitness rooms, will be closed for the 2020-2021 academic year. Any changes will be communicated to residential students in as timely a manner as possible.

What will check-in look like?

Students will receive more information about check-in at the end of July via their Whittier email account. Students will need to sign up for a check-in date/time and follow specific guidelines in accordance to CDC and Public Health guidelines.    

Do I need to move out in between the newly adjusted terms? 

Students will not be required to move out of their assigned room in between the academic terms. Students are encouraged to plan ahead of time to ensure they can move-out by the scheduled move-out date.

Can I stay in my room during breaks? 

Additional charges may exist for Winter Break. Students will be emailed additional information on how to register to stay during the academic year breaks.  

How will my room be furnished?

Students will receive a desk, chair, bed, and storage unit. Due to the sudden change, students placed in traditional double occupancy rooms will have two sets of furniture. Removal of furniture will not be available. 

Students may use the additional furniture in their assigned residence hall room if they would like, as long as they are not violating any policies. We recommend that all students familiarize themselves with the Student Code of Conduct and the COVID-19 Student Code of Conduct as they are responsible for upholding both.

Can I have guests in my hall this year?

With consideration of CDC and Public Health guidelines, guests are not authorized within the residence halls. Please review the COVID-19 Student Code of Conduct for further details and other important policies.

What if I change my mind about living on campus? 

Students must submit an email to by July 27 if they no longer want to keep their 2020-2021 housing assignment. Students who do not withdraw from housing by August 3 may be charged the full housing cost for the 2020-2021 academic year.

How can I contact Housing & Residential Life or other departments with questions?

Due to California's Stay at Home Order, the majority of campus employees have not returned to campus. Please email with any questions. Questions not related to Housing can be answered by the following offices. 

  • Dining Services
  • Meal Plans:
  • Billing and Charges:
  • Academics, including course registration:
  • Parking:
  • General assistance: or

What if I haven’t moved out of my room and still have property to remove? 

An email was sent on June 16, 2020 to students currently still “checked-in” to their room according to Housing & Residential Life records. Students are encouraged to check their email or the housing portal for this communication.

Students may request to have their property packed/stored by Whittier College Facilities Department or designee. Students must complete the form by the deadline and agree to the terms to have their property packed/stored.  

When is registration?

Registration is scheduled for April 13 - 17 for priority registration and April 20 - 24 for regular registration.

How can I submit a course override form for a course that requires a prerequisite or instructor permission? 

Email the professor and cc the registrar office at; once the instructor gives approval through email the Registrar staff will add you to the course. Please provide your ID number and CRN number in the email. 

If a course is closed how can I get permission to be added to the course? 

The automatic waitlist will be activated. Students will have the ability to add themselves to the waitlist through course registration in MyWhittier. Once a seat becomes available you will receive an email, in which you will have 48 hours to add yourself to the course. 

Can I come into the Registrar office for assistance during registration? 

As of March 23, the Whittier Registrar’s walk-up service is closed and all telephone services are suspended. Registrar Services are available online and/or through email. Please email us during Registration Week and someone from the registrar staff will respond as soon as possible. 

What if I am experiencing technical difficulties and need someone to trouble shoot? 

A member of the Registrar’s Office will be able to zoom one on one with a student if necessary; to help resolve any technical issues. 

Why are current juniors and seniors registering for the whole Academic Year? 

We are allowing students who are planning to graduate in spring 2021 to register for the entire year. The reason for this change is to allow students to be cleared for graduation a lot earlier and to adjust their schedule if necessary. Please note: current juniors and seniors by earn credit will be given this permission. 

What if I have a hold from the Business Office or Health Services? 

Contact each office directly via email ( and to clear any holds.

When and how should I meet with my advisor? 

You can contact your advisor by email or Zoom appointment for your advising session. 

How can I change my major or advisor? 

Please use the change of major form on our website Registrar Services and email the form to

I am a current international student, what do I need to know?

International students that were enrolled at Whittier College in spring 2020, may take 100% of courses online (either in the U.S.A. or in your home country) and maintain your immigration status. If you are currently outside the U.S.A. and want to return, you may do so.  Before you travel, it is recommended that you contact Kerry Gonzales in the Office of International Programs for updated travel information as it is changing frequently.

I am a new international student currently living in the U.S.A., what do I need to know?

If you are transferring to Whittier College from another school in the U.S.A., you may take 100% of your courses online and maintain your immigration status. You may choose to stay in the U.S.A. or return home.

I am a new international student currently living outside the U.S.A., what do I need to know?

New international students who need to get a U.S. visa or enter the U.S. for the first time, CANNOT take 100% of courses online. You must register for hybrid courses that blend online and in-person instruction. 

If you plan to enter the U.S.A. for the fall, the Office of International Programs will assist you in choosing hybrid courses that have a required on campus component. Alternatively, you can choose to take  courses from home and delay your entry into the U.S.A. until a future term.  

There will be no campus-based counseling services over summer as the Student Counseling Center is closed; appointments will resume on the first day of classes in the fall term. Nearly all community counseling and support services are still being offered through tele-health, on-line or by phone.

What Wellness Resources are available to me?

Check out Engage to see weekly Wellness Calendars and a plethora of De-Stress activities

What phone/text services can support me in a crisis?

  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 24/7 at 800.273.8255 or 1.800.SUICIDE
  • The Crisis Text Line: 24/7: text HELP to 741741
  • The Trevor Project specifically supports LGBTQIA+ young adults: 1.866.488.7386 or on their website

What if I’m not in crisis, but need someone to talk to?

  • The California Warm Line, 24/7, non-urgent mental health support:  855.845.7415

  • Project Return Peer Support Network (PRPSN):

    • English: 1.888.448.9777

    • Spanish: 1.888.448.4055

Are there teletherapy options available through health insurance?

  • Students who are covered by the College’s student health insurance plan are eligible for virtual counseling services with licensed mental health professionals through BetterHelp for no additional cost. To use the services, register online. (
  • Those who are not covered by student insurance are encouraged to contact their individual health insurance companies to explore telehealth options that may be covered under their plans. BetterHelp virtual counseling services may also be purchased for $200/month. On their website, select “Get Started” and then “Registering for paid account.”  Currently offering one month free.

What other supports are available to me?

A COVID-19 Anxiety support group and general support groups, led by therapists on FaceBook

Support Groups Central for free/low-cost virtual support groups

Hillside Wellness: free groups for residents of California, thru 7/1; 3 free sessions ($25 for more) individual, couples, or family

Are there any apps that I can use to help support my mental health over the summer?

We recommend these apps which can be found on Google Play and the Apple App store:

  • Sanvello
  • What’s Up
  • The CBT Thought Record Diary
  • Headspace

For a more free and paid mental health apps, click here

What are the options for staff or faculty who might be experiencing symptoms of stress and anxiety due to COVID-19?

  • Whittier College has an employee assistance program (EAP) through Health Advocate (Unam) that provides free, confidential, assistance to employees accessible 24/7 that can help with work-life balance issues ranging from managing anxiety around the current pandemic to finding temporary child care. Call 1.800.854.1446 or visit
  • Individual Health Plans likely offer Telemedicine options including psychological visits. For example, the Anthem BlueCross plans offered through the college have a LiveHealth Online Psychology option to talk to a licensed psychologist or therapist through video. Sign up at or download app to get started.
  • Five Ways to View Coverage of the Coronavirus
  • APA’s Podcast on Coronavirus Anxiety

What is Whittier College doing to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Whittier College is continuing to monitor the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and its implications. Senior administrators are communicating daily to review updates from the CDC, World Health Organization, and county and state public health agencies.

Whittier College has been following the CDC’s guidelines for institutions of higher education and the College’s emergency response team has met to discuss needed plans to respond to the situation.

Is the College closing?

The State of California and Los Angeles County have issued a "Safer at Home" order, asking everyone to remain at home except for essential activities as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. 

During this time, all Whittier College buildings are closed to the public. However, the College continues to operate with essential personnel onsite and all other staff working remotely. The directory online provides operating hours and the best way to contact each office during this time.

How will students access their courses?

There is currently a plan in place to use Moodle as the primary platform for all online courses. Students will receive specific instructions from their professors via email before Monday, March 23.

Are students required to still pay tuition?

While we are moving to remote education, classes will still be Whittier College courses taught by Whittier College professors. Our intention is to focus on providing a high-quality student experience and ensure students can continue learning in an engaging manner, in keeping with the Whittier ethos. Students will also have access to their professors, online and, in some cases, in person. Our goal is also to make sure all of our students can continue making progress toward their academic goals.

What will happen to students who receive work study?

All work-study, including exception funding, students will continue to be paid for their regularly scheduled hours, until further notice. Students should communicate with their supervisors to get additional direction and remote work assignments. 

I’m a veteran. Will I still receive my Post-9/11 GI Bill?

At this time, no changes will be made to your certification, and therefore your benefits will continue as is for the time being. 

What do I do if I think I have COVID-19?

Individuals needing medical services due to symptoms of respiratory illness including fever, cough, and shortness of breath should FIRST call the Student Health & Wellness Center (562-464-4548) or their doctor for further instructions BEFORE visiting the medical facility. A physician or nurse will determine the level of medical care an individual may need and either schedule an appointment with them or refer them accordingly.

For students: If you have any non-life-threatening health concerns after clinic hours when the Student Health & Wellness Center is closed, please call the RN Telephone After Hours Advice line at 562-464-4548 and press 1 or 855-456-9455.

Any suspected or confirmed cases of the COVID-19 need to be reported to the College. For faculty and staff, this should be Human Resources and for students, this is the Student Health & Wellness Center in conjunction with the Dean of Student Life. Currently, there are no known cases (confirmed or suspected) of COVID-19 on the Whittier campus.

What do I do if I have a cold or other illness (not related to COVID-19)?

Students, faculty, and staff who are ill are being asked to stay home and seek medical care, especially if they have a cough or high fever. Individuals may communicate via email with supervisors, coworkers, and professors to let them know they are sick.

What if I have to miss work?

Students, staff, and faculty will not be penalized for staying home if they are sick. Employees and students should confirm COVID-19 with their regular physician and get clearance from their doctor before returning to campus. Moreover, the College will work with employees and students to make needed accommodations in the case that individuals are impacted due to childcare or other family obligations related to COVID-19. Supervisors are encouraged to make their best efforts to support employees who may be impacted by COVID-19 so that they can meet work requirements.

Are all events being canceled?

In response to the "Safer at Home" order, all Whittier College buildings are closed to the public and most events have been cancelled or moved online. End-of-the-year activities including honors convocation, URSCA, cultural graduations, and baccalaureate have also been canceled. Although we will continue to monitor the situation, it is expected that the traditional all-College commencement exercises will be canceled and/or modified. Whittier faculty and staff are working on plans to ensure that the College can honor the accomplishments of our graduating seniors.

The Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference's (SCIAC) has decided to indefinitely suspend all spring regular season conference competition and conference championships. The NCAA also announced the cancelation of all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. 

How will students register for fall classes

Fall registration will continue as planned but will be done remotely. More information will be forthcoming.  

How can I stay informed?

Make sure to check your email daily for the Poet Update newsletter. All of our updates will also be posted online. In addition, if you are not receiving emergency text messages from Whittier College please update your contact information on your myWhittier account. 

How is the campus being cleaned to prevent the spread of COVID-19?

To reduce the likelihood of any transmission and to ensure that high-traffic contact surfaces are regularly cleaned, the facilities department is adding new steps to disinfect certain areas more often. This includes working with our custodial provider to bring additional staff to increase the frequency of cleaning.

The College is also adding hand sanitizing stations in buildings throughout campus.

Bon Appetit has also increased its cleaning frequency in the Campus Inn and is cognizant of keeping tables clean.  

Are there any students, faculty, or staff traveling in affected countries?

Currently, there are no Whittier students studying abroad in the affected countries (China, Japan, Iran, Italy, and South Korea.)

Faculty, staff, students, or visitors arriving from any particular area affected by the 2019 COVID-19 on or after February 15, 2020, should not return to campus until 14 days after their arrival in the U.S. This is an expectation of the College for those arriving to the U.S. between February 15 and March 2. It is an expectation of the College and a requirement of the United States for those arriving on or after March 2, 2020. 

What resources will be available for students with disabilities who depend on the ability to have live interaction via lectures/classroom discussions as well as the ability to meet with their professors when needed for office hours?  

Please rest assured that as we shift to remote instruction, previously activated accommodations will still be in place. In some cases, in-person accommodations will no longer be necessary, and in other cases, new accommodations may need to be made. In all cases, Student Disability Services is still available to students.

Visit the website for accommodations that are typically available for students with disabilities, as well as an update on how accommodations will be provided for the remainder of the semester. . 

What can I do to stay healthy?

  • Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you cough or sneeze, or clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60 to 95% alcohol, covering all surfaces of your hands and rubbing them together until they feel dry. Soap and water should be used preferentially if hands are visibly dirty. Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue away.
  • Avoid contact with sick people.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces with disinfectant products. See EPA recommended list. 
  • Maintain your immune system by getting plenty of rest, sleep, and a nutritious balanced diet.
  • Symptoms to be wary of include fever and respiratory symptoms, including coughing. If you experience these symptoms, stay home from work or school and limit contact with others immediately, and seek medical attention.

Anti-discrimination Policy

Whittier College does not condone any form of discrimination or racism. Speak up if you hear, see, or read misinformation, or witness or experience harassment or discrimination.
A bias incident report can be filed online.

Is the Bookstore open?

The Bookstore is open with limited hours.

Can I come to the bookstore to check-in my rental textbooks for this term?

The Whittier College Bookstore is open and you may check-in your rental textbooks in person. If you are no longer in the Whittier area, you may also choose to ship rentals back to the store via a free FedEx return label. There are two ways to obtain a Rental Return Label.

  1. Wait for the rental reminder email that is sent 14 days before your rental due date. Email is sent again 7 days, 3 days, and the day of your due date. This email contains a link to generate a free return shipping label and packing slip.
  2. You can immediately generate a free return shipping label on this website, in your account.
    1. Click the Sign In link on the top right side of the page to sign into your account.
    2. Enter the email address you provided at the register when you rented. Note: Even if you rented in the store, an account was created using the email you provided at the register. If you don’t know your password, you can click Forgot Password link for a temporary password to be emailed to you.
    3. Once you’ve signed in, click the link “Rentals”. You will be navigated to the Rentals page in your account.
    4. On Rentals page, scroll down the page to see the books you rented. Click the link “Return All Rentals by Mail." You can also click the button “Return by Mail.” Both open a pop up to select your rentals to ship back.
    5. Follow the steps to generate and print the return label and packing slip. This option is available until your rental due date.

Because the campus is closed, I cannot bring in my rented textbooks. Will I get charged for the textbooks due to missing the due date?

The Whittier College Bookstore is open. While the due date for rented books has not changed, the “non-return charge date” has been extended 15 days past your current return due date to allow time for your mailed book to reach the store. To avoid late charges, please have your book in transit by the due date

Can I buy or extend my rentals on the website?

If you originally rented your textbook in the store, there is no option to buy or extend the rental on the website at this time. If you rented your textbook online, you have an option to buy or extend the rental on the website on the Rentals page.

I placed an order online for pickup. What should I do?

The Whittier College Bookstore is open. Please contact the campus store to track your order.

I placed an order but I have not received any confirmation my item has shipped. What’s going on?

Your item may be shipping from a location that has closed due to COVID-19 concerns. Your order will be filled when we are able to access that location again. Items that are in this situation are marked as “backordered” on the website. However, when you placed your order, the ship-from location may not yet have been closed or was in the process of closing so this backorder status may not have been displaying, check the item again now for confirmation. 

I need to purchase upcoming term textbooks and supplies; do I need to come to the store?

The Whittier College Bookstore is open and you may purchase textbooks and supplies in person. You may also order from the bookstore website.

My textbooks are in my residential hall or other location which I cannot access due to COVID-19 restrictions. How can I get a copy of those books?

There are digital eBook options available for many titles available through the store website. See the textbook page on the site for details.

Can I sell my textbooks back to the bookstore?

Yes, the Whittier College Bookstore is open and you may sell your books back. You may also sell back your books online (ship your books) through the “Sell Your Textbooks” link in the Bookstore site footer. On the Sell Your Textbooks page, refer to the Online section and click “Sell Your Textbooks” button.