Hands-On Learning in Kinesiology
Kinesiology students can find amazing opportunities to grow professionally through Whittier College.
To learn more about internships for kinesiology majors, contact the Weingart Center for Career and Professional Development.
Growing a Healthier Future
As a kinesiology student, Jordan Carter understood the importance of nutrition and discovered new ways of improving people’s health. A recent graduate, Jordan wants to use his knowledge and experience to empower underserved communities through urban gardening, nutrition education, fitness curriculum, and employment opportunities.
Through the Yao Yuan Sze Fellowship, he had an opportunity to do so before graduating. The fellowship allowed him to spend a summer in Washington D.C., working with DC Greens as a school garden intern and DC Central Kitchen as a local food intern. From these experiences, Jordan returned to Whittier to help build a school garden and develop a nutrition and gardening curriculum at a local elementary school.
The Yao Yuan Sze Fellowship provides funds for students in their sophomore, junior, or senior year to enter a supervised research project and, following the completion of the summer research project, earn an augmenting scholarship for the fall term. For more information about the fellowship, contact professor Trish Van Oosbree or professor Kathy Barlow.
Building Your Resume
Posting on social media, meeting powerful executives (including Magic Johnson), and gaining real work experience for her resume. Jasmine Tong is set.
The kinesiology major has interned for both the championship-winning Los Angeles Sparks and the premier AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour league. The experiences took her across the country with the volleyball league, and to every exciting home game at the renowned Staples Center. All the while, she gained skills to prepare her for success after graduation, as she learned the ins and outs of professional basketball and helped with ticket sales for the Sparks, and managed professional social media accounts, negotiated contracts, and helped produce in-game entertainment for the volleyball league.
"I enjoyed gaining experience, networking, and meeting a large amount of high-level executives working in the field, and of course traveling. The experience and contacts I made will boost my resume and help me land a full-time job post-graduation," Jasmine said.
Professor Kathy Barlow guided her to the Sparks internship, thanks to the professor's contacts.
Kinesiology students like Jasmine can take full advantage of the Los Angeles area's rich internship and volunteer opportunities, including at an award-winning hospital and internationally leading rehabilitation institution. Here is a sample of the places Poets have interned or volunteered recently:
- Los Angeles Sparks
- St. Mary's Medical Center
- Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilitation Center
- AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour
- Methodist Hospital
- Elite Physical Therapy and Wellness
- Special Olympics
The Class of 2017 completed the following internships and volunteer opportunities
- Los Angeles Sparks - Sales Intern
- Sacramento Rivercats - Corporate Ticket Sales Trainee
- Uptown Whittier YMCA - Marketing Intern
- AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour - Intern
- NHI Fan Fair - Intern
- St. Mary’s Medical Center (Cardiac Department) - Volunteer
- Whittier College - Strength and Conditioning Intern
- Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilitation Center (Neurological Department) - Volunteer
- Peak Physical Therapy - PT Intern
- Peak Hand Therapy - OT Volunteer
- CATZ Physical Therapy - PT Aide
- OPTM Physical Therapy (Saratoga) - PT Volunteer
- DG Therapy Group (Pediatric PT and OT
- South Pacific Rehab (PT)
- Elite Physical Therapy and Wellness in La Quinta, California (PT)
- Methodist Hospital in Arcadia (PT)
- Dynamic Therapies in Arcadia (PT)
- Turnbull Crossfit - Intern
- Hoover Elementary School - Nutrition Intervention
- Young Champions of America - Youth Basketball Instructor
- Pioneer High School - Head Coach of Girls JV Basketball Team
- Lakewood Family YMCA - Wellness Coach
- Lakewood Family YMCA - Family Fitness Instructor
- LA Kitchen
- Special Olympics