Whittier College will continue online instruction through the beginning of spring semester. In-person instruction will resume on February 21.
Read the update
Professor of Physics
Science & Learning Center 211B
562.907.4200 ext. 4450
B.S., Hacettepe University
M.A., University of Rochester
Ph.D., University of Rochester
Professor Serkan Zorba attended Hacettepe University from 1992 to 1997 and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering physics as valedictorian in the Department of Engineering Physics and as salutatorian in the Faculty of Engineering. He then attended the University of Rochester in the fall of 1997 with full tuition and scholarship and began his graduate studies in the Department of Physics and Astronomy.
Zorba received a Master of Arts degree in physics in 1999, and then joined Professor Yongli Gao's group to carry out research on the morphological and electrical properties of organic semiconductors. He completed his doctorate degree in July 2004. Zorba spent one year as a visiting professor beginning in September 2004, and became a tenure-track assistant professor of physics in September 2005 in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Whittier College.
25. Serkan Zorba. God is Random, European Journal of Science and Theology, 12 (1):51-67 (2016).
24. Goebl, J.; Liu, Y.; Wong, S.; Zorba, S.; Yin, Y. Magnetically Tunable Colloidal Micromirrors, Nanoscale Horiz., 2016 1, 64 - 68.
23. Wang, M.; He, L.; Zorba, S. and Yin, Y. Magnetically Actuated Liquid Crystals, Nano Lett., 2014, 14, 3966-3971.
22. Wang, M.; Gao, C.; He, L.; Lu, Q.; Zhang, J.; Zorba, S.; Yin, Y. Magnetic Tuning of Plasmonic Excitation of Gold Nanorods, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 15302-15305.
21. Serkan Zorba, A Modified FRW Metric to Explain the Cosmological Constant, Mod.Phys.Lett. A 27 (2012) 1250106.
20. Serkan Zorba, Dark Matter and Dark Energy as Inertial Effects, arXiv:1210.3021 [physics.gen-ph] (2012).
19. Serkan Zorba, Constantine Farah, Ravi Pant, “Measuring the dispersion curve of a PMMA-fibre optic cable using a dye laser,” Eur. J. Phys. 31 (2010) 1369-1376.
18. Serkan Zorba, Randolph Thomas Maxwell, Constantine Farah, Le He, Miaomiao Ye, Yadong Yin, “Superparamagnetic Magnetite Nanoparticle Superstructures for Optical Modulation/Chopping,” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2010, 114 (41), pp 17868–17873.
17. Ye, M.; Zorba, S.; He, L.; Hu, Y.; Maxwell, R. T.; Farah, C.; Zhang, Q. and Yin, Y. “Self-assembly of superparamagnetic magnetite particles into peapod-like structures and their application in optical modulation,” J. Mater. Chem., 2010, 20, 7965-7969.
16. Serkan Zorba, Yonathan Shapir, and Yongli Gao, "Fractal-mound growth of pentacene thin films," Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, December 25, 2006.
15. Serkan Zorba and Yongli Gao, “Fractal-mound growth of pentacene thin films” Phys. Rev. B 74, 245410 (2006).
14. Huanjun Ding, Serkan Zorba, Yongli Gao, Liping Ma, Yang Yang, “Photoemission study of tris(8-hydroxyquinoline) aluminum/aluminum oxide/tris(8-hydroxyquinoline) aluminum interface,” J. Appl. Phys. 100, 113706 (2006).
13. Serkan Zorba and Yongli Gao, “Feasibility of Static Induction Transistor with Organic Semiconductors”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 193508 (2005).
12. Serkan Zorba and Yongli Gao, “Organic Nanofilm Growth,” Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Ed. H.S. Nalwa, Vol 8, 271 (2004).
11. N.J. Watkins, S. Zorba, and Y. Gao, “Interface Formation of Pentacene with Al2O3,” J. Appl. Phys. 96, 425 (2004).
10. Serkan Zorba, Li Yan, Neil J. Watkins, and Yongli Gao, “Growth Front Kinetics of Perylene on Glass and Au Substrates,” SPIE Proc. 4801, 136 (2003).
9. Serkan Zorba, Li Yan, Neil J. Watkins, and Yongli Gao, “Kinetic Roughening Study of Perylene on Glass and Au Substrates,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 81, 5195 (2002).
8. Serkan Zorba, Quoc Toan Le, Neil J. Watkins, Li Yan, and Yongli Gao, "Morphology and Current-Voltage Measurement Studies of Pentacene by Atomic Force Microscopy," J. Nanosci. Nanotech. 1, 317 (2001).
7. Serkan Zorba, Q. Toan Le, Neil J. Watkins, Li Yan, and Yongli Gao, "Current-Voltage Measurements as a Function of Applied Tip Force on Pentacene by Conducting Probe Microscopy," MRS Proc. 660, JJ10.3 (2001).
6. Li Yan, N. J. Watkins, S. Zorba, Yongli Gao, and C. W. Tang, "Thermodynamic Equilibrium and Metal-Organic Interface Dipole," Appl. Phys. Lett. 81, 2752 (2002).
5. N. J. Watkins, Li Yan, S. Zorba, Yongli Gao, and C. W. Tang, “Evidence of Electron and Hole Transfer in Metal/CuPc Interfaces,” SPIE Proc. 4800, 248 (2002).
4. N.J. Watkins, S. Zorba, L. Yan, and Y. Gao, “A Photoemission Spectroscopic Study of the Interface Formation in Organic Thin Film Transistors,” MRS Proc. 708, BB2.3 (2002).
3. Li Yan, N. J. Watkins, S. Zorba, Yongli Gao, and C. W. Tang, "Direct Observation of Fermi Level Pinning in Cs Doped CuPc Film," Appl. Phys. Lett. 79, 4148 (2001).
2. N. J. Watkins, Quoc Toan Le, S. Zorba, Li Yan, Yongli Gao, S. F. Nelson, C. S. Kuo, and T. N. Jackson, "Photoemission Characterization of Interfaces between Au and Pentacene," SPIE Proc. 4466, 1 (2001).
1. N.J. Watkins ,Quoc Toan Le, S. Zorba, Li Yan, and Yongli Gao, "Interface Formation in Pentacene Based Thin Film Transistors: an Electronic and Morphological Study," MRS Proc. 660, JJ7.3 (2001).