Welcome to Whittier College! Before you enroll in your courses for the Fall 2023 academic year, you will have to complete a proctored math placement exam.
Please read all of the following information carefully.
What is ALEKS?
Whittier College requires an ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (ALEKS PPL) Assessment to determine readiness for mathematics courses.
ALEKS consists of three parts:
- An initial Placement Assessment
- The Prep and Learning Module, an individualized, self-paced online review
- Access to 4 additional Placement Assessments
Whittier College encourages each student to spend time in the Prep and Learning Modules, even if the desired score is achieved, because time spent in ALEKS will ultimately lead to better preparation and improved scores.
What do I need to do?
Step 1: Log into ALEKS
Sign in using your MyWhittier credentials.
Step 2: Take your initial unproctored placement exam
Unproctored Placement Assessment Guidelines
- You have 48 hours to complete the assessment.
- You will be asked up to 30 questions.
- If you do not know an answer you can select “I Don’t Know” at the bottom left of the screen.
- The assessment can be stopped and started during that 48-hour period.
- Do not use any outside help.
- Only use the calculator provided on the screen. It will appear only on questions that require the use of a calculator.
You will immediately receive your results and corresponding course placement.
Step 3: Study and Retest
Whittier College requires between 3 and 5 hours of study time and a 48-hour cool-off period between assessments.
Step 4: Take a Proctored Exam
Whittier College requires a proctored exam for a student’s final course placement. In other words, a student must take a proctored exam to register for their math course or any course requiring a math prerequisite. Only one (1) proctored exam is required, but students may take the exam up to 5 times.
Option 1: In person at Whittier College
Option 2: Online (detailed instructions)
Step 5: Register for classes
Once you have a proctored ALEKS PPL score, you can register for classes during your registration lab. Sign up for a registration lab using the link in your New Student Checklist.
For more information visit ALEKS FAQ or contact Paige Sturley at email@example.com.