Emergency Funding and Assistance Programs


The Economic Crisis Committee (ECC) provides support and guidance to students who have self-identified, or are identified by Whittier College faculty or staff, as experiencing a financial crisis that impacts their academic success at Whittier College.

If you are in financial distress, contact the Economic Crisis Committee at fromo@whittier.edu or 562.907.4233.

Contribute to the Student Emergency Fund

If you are being threatened with eviction during the COVID-19 pandemic

The Economic Crisis Committee is aware of the challenges facing students amid the current pandemic including but not limited to facing eviction and utility shut-off. 

Students who are leasing off-campus housing from a private landlord are encouraged to contact their city hall for information on tenant rights during the pandemic. If you are renting in the City of Whittier, you cannot be evicted for failure to pay rent under a city moratorium on tenant evictions expiring May 30 or until extended by the Governor of California. 

Emergency Funds

Undergraduate students currently enrolled at Whittier College may request funds for an emergency situation under compelling circumstances that jeopardize their ability to successfully continue in school. Student Emergency Funds will be provided in the form of a grant and will typically range from $100 to $500, depending on the student's case and need. Priority for student emergency funds will be given to cases with urgent needs, extreme hardship, and/or lack of alternative options. A student will be eligible to receive emergency funds twice within a four-year time period, but only once per academic year, while attending Whittier College. Visit My.Whittier for full details on how to apply for emergency funds.

Emergency funds may be used to cover

  • Food insecurity
  • Transportation including car repairs
  • Emergency healthcare expenses that are not covered by insurance (i.e. co-pays)
  • Loss of child care
  • Travel in the case of the death or illness of an immediate family member
  • Books (under special circumstances)
  • Imminent utility shut-off due to overdue payments
  • Other special circumstances to be determined by the review committee

Emergency funds may NOT be used to cover

  • Tuition
  • Fees
  • Room and Board
  • Optional programs
  • Entertainment
  • Recreation
  • Non-emergency travel
  • Other non-essential expenses

Food Assistance for Students

Poet Pantry

The Poet Pantry provides weekly groceries for students in need of food assistance. Food items are preselected and packaged in advance in order to limit contact. Food bag distribution takes place once per week at The Spot in the Campus Center.

Students may request a food bag by completing an online form. Weekly orders must be placed on Sunday for a Tuesday pick-up. Pick-up details are provided via email when after an order has been placed.

Meal Voucher Program 

The meal voucher program ensures that Whittier students receive nutrition and sustenance during times of hardship. Most students are eligible to apply to this program for up to 2 semesters, receiving a maximum of 5 vouchers each semester. To be eligible for this program students must live off campus.

Students may request vouchers by visiting the Dean of Students Office, Campus Center room 142 and completing an eligibility form or by calling 562.907.4233. Subsequent requests will require additional documentation signed by the Office of Financial Aid as well as a meeting with a Dean of Students Office staff member. 

Technology Support

The College has a limited number of laptops and hot spots available for use during the current academic year. Students in need of equipment or software to successfully complete coursework may request it by using the online form.

Transportation Assistance for Students

Whittier College's Transportation Assistance program, Go Whittier!,  provides access to public transportation during the academic year by partnering with Metro to distribute TAP cards to students who rely on public transportation. The Metro TAP Card grants the holder access to 26 Transit Systems across LA County. 

Full-time Whittier College students may request Go Whittier! transportation funds to cover the monthly cost of a TAP card for the length of each semester.  

To apply, complete the Go Whittier! transportation application and submit to Fromo@whittier.edu with proof of purchase of a TAP card and a copy of your current class schedule.

Some students may qualify for free access to public transportation without the need for Go Whittier! funds. To apply, please contact Marysol Mendoza at mmendoz2@whittier.edu