Located near the Campus Safety office, the Student Health & Wellness Center provides primary health care services and health and wellness resources to all Whittier College. It also offers holistic services at affordable prices and free nutrition counseling.
The Student Health & Wellness Center is staffed throughout the academic year by multiple providers that hold rotating office hours Monday-Friday and see patients on an appointment-basis only. Walk-ins are welcomed on Monday mornings. The health center is also staffed by a full-time Nurse Practitioner and Licensed Vocational Nurse. During the summer, a Nurse Practitioner and Licensed Vocational Nurse provide care and assistance under a reduced clinic schedule.
There is no charge for a visit, however, any medications prescribed, any in-house labs, vaccines, or procedures will incur a fee. The nurse or provider can inform you ahead of time of these fees. Although no health insurance is required to see one of our providers, it is required for lab testing or for other tests such as radiography views (i.e. X-rays), or when seeing a specialist at an outside facility.
Schedule and Appointment
Call the Health Center at 562.464.4548 or walk-in during regular business hours.
As a courtesy to other students, please note that we charge a $20.00 no-show fee to your student account if you fail to cancel your appointment with a provider at least 2 hours prior to your appointment time.
All Whittier College full-time undergraduate students can use the services of the health center regardless of their insurance carrier. Undergraduate students automatically pay health services fees as part of their tuition, which is assessed by the Business Office at the beginning of each semester.
A part-time student must be enrolled in at least six (6) units per semester to be eligible to use the health center. In addition, part-time students wishing to use the health center must pay a $75 semester fee.
A semester fee of $75 is assessed to graduate and law students wishing to use the services of the health center at the time of the initial visit.
Sample of Services
- Flu shots, immunizations and TB skin tests
- Gynecological exams (Pap, Birth Control, Pelvic exams)
- Health and nutrition education
- Sexual health (STD testing and treatment, free condoms, emergency contraception)
- Athletic and travel physicals
- Treatment of illnesses and injuries
- Yearly and new incoming physical exams
- Prescribed (available at minimal cost) and free OTC medications
- Contraceptive services (Birth Control)
- Massage therapy
- Nutritionist appointments
The mission of Student Health & Wellness Center is to maintain optimum, physical and emotional health of the Whittier College student body through the provision of quality, accessible, comprehensive, holistic and cost-effective primary health care.
We also strive to promote healthy behaviors and lifestyle choices through ongoing wellness outreach and health educational programming.
The Health & Wellness Center serves to assist students in the pursuit of their academic goals and personal development consistent with the mission of the College.
- Health promotion of healthy lifestyles and disease prevention
- Patient advocacy
- Excellence in delivery of quality healthcare
- Equity of access for a diverse population
- Personal accountability for health and well-being
- Health education and outreach activities in a collaborative method