The Counseling Center maintains a lending library of books, videotapes, audiotapes, and brochures on a variety of mental health topics and social issues. Any member of the Whittier College community is welcome to borrow these materials.
The list of resources below is compiled by the counseling center staff to provide you with information that may be useful in times when self-care is appropriate. Some of the resources include brochures from other counseling centers in other parts of the country. Please note that the resources these brochures list will be local to that area. Inclusion in this list does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Whittier College or the Counseling Center. We encourage you to independently evaluate the materials and use the information as appropriate.
This information is not intended to substitute for help from a qualified mental health professional. For personal assistance, call the counseling center at 562.907.4239 to schedule an appointment with a counselor.
Substance Use and Abuse
- Drub Rehab Locator
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
College Mental Health
- Eating Disorder Survey
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
- Psych Central - Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders Guide
- Suicide.org - Information and Resources for college students
- Preventing Suicide Among College Students
Non-Suicidal Self-Injury (NSSI)
- The Cornell Research Program on Self-Injury and Recovery
- Self-Injury Outreach & Support
- Helpguide.org - Cutting & Self-Harm
- University of Massachusetts - Specific & general mental health resources.
- APA Help Center
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- Online Intergroup of Alcoholic Anonymous
- Go Ask Alice - Columbia University's health question and answer service has answers to questions you may have about sexuality, sexual health, relationships, drugs and alcohol, fitness and nutrition, emotional well-being, and general health.