Fellowships for Whittier College Students
What are fellowships?
- Fellowships are experiences that pay college students to engage in educational and professional growth.
- Fellowships are mentored by faculty or industry professionals, who guide the student through the experience.
- There is no cost associated with applying to any fellowship. Most fellowships occur during the summer period.
- Fellowship deadlines typically fall between January 1 and March 1.
What type of experiences do fellowships support?
- Research projects
- Creative projects
- Financial support to engage in an unpaid internship
- Study abroad
- Learning a new language
- Community engagement projects
- Public service projects
- Governmental projects
- Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) projects
What are the benefits of fellowships for me?
- Get paid to grow academically and professionally
- Receive one-on-one mentorship
- Fellowships typically occur in summer periods, giving you four opportunities to complete four fellowships during your undergraduate education
- Gain academic and professional insight into field of interest
- Gain valuable skills that will enhance your academic and career readiness
- Gain valuable cultural competency
- Build your professional network as you establish working relationships with faculty and professionals in field of interest
- Secure future Letter of Recommendation writers
How can I find and attain a fellowship relevant to my interests?
- Explore the Whittier College Fellowships webpages
- Contact the Fellowship Director for a one-on-one meeting. They will help you find appropriate fellowships and also with your fellowship applications.
Fellowship applications involve addressing writing prompts or short questions (e.g., personal statements, project proposals, diversity statements, etc.), along with submitting additional documents, such as transcripts, letters of recommendation from faculty or supervisors. Some fellowships will also hold interviews for semi-finalists.
Contact the Fellowship Director
Elizabeth Sanchez '15