visit campus


apply for admission


Make Admission Finanical Deposit


Registration Policies

Late Registration Fees

The Registrar's Office may impose a late registration fee when a student petitions to conduct registration actions after the published deadlines. If the petition is approved then payment of the fee is required before the petition will be processed. Please review the Academic Calendar prior to the start of the term to ensure you know the deadlines in advance.


Students are not allowed to register if they have holds on their records. Please check your holds through and contact the office which has placed the hold on your record for assistance.

Declaration of Major

Students who have not completed their declaration of major by registration during the spring of their sophomore year will receive a hold on their registration. They will not be allowed to register for junior year courses until the Declaration of Major form is filed with the Office of the Registrar.

Instructor Permission

You must obtain the instructor's permission on an Add/Drop Form for any course for which permission is required. On the day that you register, take the signed form to the Registrar's Office for processing. You may register for all your other courses through the web. It is only the instructor permission course that must be processed by the Registrar's Office in person.

Student Course Load

A student normally enrolls in 12 to 15 credits per semester and in one course during JanTerm. A student may take up to a maximum of 17 credits during a semester, as long as the student is in good academic standing. Please note: There is an additional charge for any credits above 15. In exceptional cases a load in excess of 17 credits may be taken only with the prior approval of both your advisor and the registrar. You must complete and submit the Academic Overload Petition to the Registrar's Office to enroll in more than 17 credits.

Dropping and Withdrawing from Courses

NOTE: Non-Attendance does not constitute a drop or withdraw and will result in a grade of "F." It is the student's responsibility to drop a course and to ensure their schedule is accurate.

A student may drop a course online or with an Add/Drop Form at the Registrar's Office, without record of enrollment within the first three weeks of the semester (first week for JanTerm)

A student may drop a course and receive a grade of "W" online or with a Withdrawal Form at the Registrar's Office, between the end of the third and sixth weeks of classes (within two weeks for JanTerm).

Concurrent Enrollment

A student may not take courses for credit at both Whittier College and another institution simultaneously without prior permission from the Registrar. Obtain the Concurrent Enrollment Form from the Registrar's Office. The Registrar will not approve a total course load greater than that acceptable at Whittier.

Independent Or Directed Studies

Students may take a course by independent study when the subject matter is not covered in a regular Whittier catalog course. In rare circumstances a student may take a regular Whittier course outside of the normal classroom setting by directed study. You must fill out an application for independent study or directed study in addition to your Add/Drop Form. You are allowed to take only one independent or directed study in a given term. Independent studies may be taken for a maximum of 3 credits.

Time Conflicts

Students are not allowed to register for courses that overlap in time/day without the prior approval of both instructors. Students must seek approval on the Course Time Conflict Form available to register for such classes.


If a course requires a pre-requisite, the pre-requisite (introductory level) course must be completed before you can sign up for the intermediate level course. Exceptions can only be made by instructor signature (of the intermediate level course) on an Add/Drop Form that is turned in to the Registrar's Office.

Co-Requisite and Linked

If courses require a co-requisite or are part of a first-year link, both courses must be taken. No exceptions.

Grade Option

Grade Option changes must be submitted by the fourth week of the term. For some courses, students may choose the grade mode, letter grade or credit/no credit (the CR/NC option will not affect the students grade point average). You may select your grade mode online when registering for your courses or you may fill out the Add/Drop Form and submit it to the Registrar's Office with the signature of the instructor. For further questions about Grade Options, contact a member of the Registrar's Office.