Living Off Campus

All students must complete the housing application, regardless of their intent to live on or off campus.

However, any student, regardless of class standing, may qualify for residency policy exemptions if

  • The student resides with their parent or legal guardian at their legal residence which is within a 20 mile driving radius of Whittier College
  • The student is or will be 22 years of age on or before the first day of classes for the fall semester
  • The student is married or in a domestic partnership
  • The student has documentation supporting need for off-campus housing. In this case, the student must contact the Office of Student Disability Services.

The College will also consider an exception to its residential policy in situations where a student with sophomore or junior standing is experiencing an extreme financial hardship and is unable to cover the expenses associated with on-campus housing and meal plans.

To be considered for exception a student should meet the following requirements.

  • Elegible for Federal Pell Grant
  • Good academic standing
  • Sophomore or junior standing for year in question
  • FAFSA for the upcoming academic year has been filed
  • A financial aid package has been received and accepted by the student
  • Student and parents/legal guardians are unable to finance the unmet need
  • Student and parents/legal guardians have exhausted all funding options including loans (unwillingness to borrow does not satisfy this requirement)
  • Student and parents/legal guardians are unable to finance the cost difference between on-camps and off-campus housing and meal plans
  • Student demonstrates unmet need that is at least as great as the documented savings between living on-campus or off-campus

Petition for Financial Hardship Housing