Employers should see a professional online presence from you.
This includes emails, social media messages and comments, text messages, and blogs.
- Ask yourself, is this text appropriate?
- Consider the time and manner of your message. Texts can be seen as convenient or intrusive from the employer’s perspective.
- Send text messages that are proofread and appropriate.
- Reflect on your message. Does it convey what you want to communicate?
- View examples of how to construct a professional text versus an unprofessional message.
- Viewed as less intrusive in nature and can be sent within a larger window of time.
- Proofread all professional communications with appropriate content and grammar.
- View examples of professional and unprofessional emails.
Social Media Posts, Messages, and Videos
- Should display professionalism and maturity.
- Can be sent within a longer time frame.
- Always ask yourself before you post, “Am I comfortable with my boss viewing this content?”
Have you done the following?
- Written your message at an appropriate time of day (not at 2:00 a.m.)?
- Proofread and corrected all grammar.
- Used appropriate language.
- Reviewed your emotional status while you were writing: Were you upset? Nervous? Anxious? Is this reflected in your writing to a potential professional contact?