With the generous support of Whittier alumnus Tien Zee ‘61, Whittier College has established the INTEX Fellowship for three students to intern at the INTEX call center in Xiamen, China for 10 weeks, from mid-May through early July.
Rising juniors and seniors in any major are eligible to apply. INTEX recently earned Walmart's Vendor of the Year Award, and, thus, this fellowship offers students a unique opportunity to work at and study a major player in the global marketplace. After a week of training, fellows will primarily work at the INTEX call center responding to in-bound customer service calls on the night shift during a 6 day work week; will help informally train other interns (specifically Chinese university students majoring in English) on American English and culture; and may be assigned to departments to work on pre-designated projects in order to enhance their learning about international business. Fellows will stay in the INTEX dormitory (single rooms with private baths; meals and laundry services provided), and will receive a stipend to cover travel expenses to and from Xiamen, visa application and international insurance fees, and other expenses.
- Sophomore or Junior standing
- Open to students of any major or academic program
- Demonstrate academic ability and a highly motivated and disciplined work ethic
- Chinese language and cultural studies are a plus but not required
- Evidence of cultural adaptability and flexibility
- Excellent English communication skills
- The ability to conduct and complete the proposed research project, internship, or experience
- Customer service experience and teamwork skills
- A desire to learn about Chinese culture and business practices
- Enthusiasm for sharing positive elements of American culture with Chinese counterparts
- Semi-finalists will be interviewed via Skype by INTEX managers, who will select the interns
- A stipend of $5,000.00 (in May) to cover travel expenses to and from Xiamen
- Upon completion of the project, $1,500.00 will be applied towards tuition or provided as a stipend
Applying to the Program
The application will be due on Reading Day (December 10, 2018).
- A 1000-word personal statement articulating the student’s academic preparation, prior study abroad and/or internship work, and understanding of the fit between this fellowship and their overall academic and professional goals, and how the student became interested and engaged in with the topic of the proposal
- Upon completing the fellowship, students will engage in reflective practice about their academic/professional goals as well as their intercultural competence, and will assist in recruiting as well as orienting the next group of fellows
Access the Application
Completed applications must be submitted to the Students Fellowship Moodle page using "fellowshipsstudents" as the enrollment key.
INTEX Fellowship Advisors
Professor Gary Gold
Dr. Lana Nino
Dr. Andy Wallis