Each year, students demonstrating outstanding ability in studio art are granted an Art Talent Scholarship.
Please visit the Department of Art and Visual Studies page to learn more about the department's offerings.
- Art portfolio: See directions below
- Art Essay: In 600 words or less, express the importance of art in your life presently and the place you believe it will hold in your future. Please write and save this essay in a format like Word, then be ready to copy and paste its contents into the application form when prompted.
- Art Instructor Recommendation: Ask an art teacher or private studio art instructor to agree to submit this recommendation. Make sure you have their current email address. You will input your instructor’s name and email into the application form; after you submit, we will contact your instructor directly with instructions for how to complete and submit your recommendation online.
- After you have collected the above requirements, click the link at the bottom of this page to complete your application
All students who are considering applying for a Talent Scholarship must first be admitted to Whittier College. Therefore, it is recommended that students apply early to ensure that all documents are completed and submitted by the posted deadlines.
Incoming First Years
The application period for Fall 2019 is now closed. Deadlines for Fall 2020 are yet to be determined, however, you can expect the application deadline and portfolio review to take place in late February or early March 2020.
Incoming Transfer Students – Fall 2019
Transfer Talent Applications for Fall 2019 are being reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
All Incoming Students – Spring 2020
Application deadline: Friday, December 6, 2019
Instructor Recommendation Deadline: Friday, December 13, 2019
- Select 10-20 pieces of art, with at least two drawings if possible
- Create a DropBox account
- Create a new folder in DropBox, titled “[First and Last Name] Portfolio”
- Copy .jpg image files of each portfolio submission into this DropBox folder
Talent scholarships are renewable for up to four years of continuous study at Whittier College provided that the recipient meets the following requirements:
- enroll in at least one art course per year;
- actively participate in the operation and management of the student art gallery;
- participate in one student art exhibition each year;
- attend all art scholarship meetings;
- maintain a 3.00 GPA in studio courses, and maintain a 2.75 overall GPA.
The Talent Scholarship is currently closed to incoming first years for Fall 2019. Transfer applications are being reviewed on a case-by-case basis; please email us to request access to the application form. Best of luck!