Each year, students demonstrating outstanding ability in studio art are granted an Art Talent Scholarship.
Please visit the Department of Art and Visual Studies page to learn more about the department's offerings.
- Art portfolio: See directions below
- Essay: In three to five paragraphs, express the importance of art in your life presently and the place you believe it will hold in your future. Essay should be Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- Art instructor recommendation: Ask an art teacher or private art instructor to agree to submit this recommendation. Make sure you have their current email address. Whittier will contact your instructor after you submit your Talent Application.
- After you have collected the above requirements, click the link at the bottom of this page to complete your application
All students who are considering applying for a Talent Scholarship must first be admitted to Whittier College. Therefore, it is recommended that students apply early to ensure that all documents are completed and submitted by the posted deadlines.
Incoming First Years – Fall 2019
Application deadline: Friday, February 22, 2019
Instructor recommendation deadline: Thursday, February 28, 2019
Art department open house (optional): Saturday, March 2, 2019
Incoming Transfer Students – Fall 2019
Application deadline: Wednesday, May 1, 2019
Instructor recommendation deadline: Thursday, May 9, 2019
All Incoming Students – Spring 2019
Application deadline: Friday, December 7, 2018
Instructor Recommendation Deadline: Thursday, December 13, 2018
- Select 10-20 pieces of art, with at least two drawings if possible
- Create a DropBox account
- Create a new folder in DropBox, titled “[First and Last Name] Portfolio”
- Copy .jpg image files of each portfolio submission into this DropBox folder
Talent scholarships are renewable for four years of continuous study at Whittier College provided that the recipient meets the following requirements:
- enroll in at least one art course per year;
- actively participate in the operation and management of the student art gallery;
- participate in one student art exhibition each year;
- attend all art scholarship meetings;
- maintain a 3.00 GPA in studio courses, and maintain a 2.75 overall GPA.
Please click the link when you are ready to complete your Talent Scholarship application. Best of luck!