Whittier College is pleased to offer special scholarships to entering first-years who demonstrate promise in music.
Please visit the Department of Music page to learn more about the department's offerings.
Talent scholarships are renewable for up to four years of continuous study at Whittier College provided that the recipient meets the following requirements:
- Enrolls in Music 70, Introduction to Music Theory and Musicianship during their first year, or transfers in comparable coursework (requires course enrollment; Music 70 is only offered in the Fall Semester and January Term, so plan accordingly)
- Participates in a leadership capacity each semester in at least one Music Department-approved musical ensemble (requires course enrollment; course numbers vary per ensemble)
- Maintains a cumulative GPA of 2.5
The Talent Scholarship is based on a separate online application process from the Whittier College application. We will match your Talent Scholarship application with your Whittier College record using your email address, so you and your instructor must both input the same email address you used in your Common Application.
- Music audition: See directions below
- Music Essay: In 600 words or less, express the importance of music in your life presently and the place you believe it will hold in your future. Please write and save this essay in a format like Word, then be ready to copy and paste its contents into the application form when prompted.
- Music Instructor Recommendation: Ask a music teacher, band/orchestra/choir director, or private music instructor to agree to submit the online Music Instructor Recommendation. The Instructor Recommendation is due on the same date as your Talent Scholarship Application, so it is critical that you start this process early to provide your instructor with sufficient lead time.
After you have fully reviewed the scholarship requirements and collected the required application pieces, you may begin the Talent Scholarship Application.
It is preferred that incoming first-year students entering Whittier in the fall semester audition in person. The live audition date for the Fall 2020 term will be Saturday, February 22. You may be accompanied by one live musician. Taped accompaniments are strongly discouraged. The Music Department cannot provide an accompanist or accommodate live auditions on alternate dates. Students who are unable to attend the live audition must submit a YouTube audition.
Students should prepare two contrasting pieces. It is strongly preferred that one of these pieces be from the standard classical repertoire in your instrument or voice. Please consult with your music instructor to identify and prepare appropriate audition material.
Students unable to schedule a live audition must submit a video recording on YouTube. There are no live auditions for transfer students or spring semester applicants. Instead, please submit a YouTube audition. To submit your video audition, you will copy its link into your application form. Therefore, you must be prepared to submit this video by the application date, not the live audition date.
- Make sure that your YouTube video is not set to Private
- You may set the video to Unlisted to prevent unauthorized viewers
- Title your video “Whittier Music Audition: [First and Last Name]”
- Include the titles and composers of the work(s) performed in your video description
- You may submit one YouTube video that includes both audition pieces, or two separate YouTube videos that each contain a single audition piece
Videos of live public performances or group performances will not be accepted. Treat this exactly as you would a live audition, performing solo or with one accompanist in a private room as though you were performing in front of the audition committee.
To ensure that students are eligible for Talent Scholarship consideration, it is recommended that students submit Talent Scholarship applications early so all documents are completed by the posted deadlines.
Incoming First Years – Fall 2020
Application deadline: Friday, February 14, 2020
Incoming Transfer Students – Fall 2020
Application deadline: Friday, May 1, 2020
All Incoming Students – Spring 2020
Application deadline: Friday, December 6, 2019