Credit on Account Refund Request


If your student account has a credit balance, you may be entitled to a refund.

Refunds are only issued on actual credit balances on a student’s account and not anticipated credits. Please submit a refund request form for any excess of non-Title IV funds from your student account. A credit balance can also be held on the student account for the fall and spring semesters and applied against future charges. The Business Office will not process a refund unless requested.

Student Credit – Title IV Funds

The College will apply Federal Title IV funds,  such as Direct subsidized, unsubsidized, PLUS loans or Pell grants, towards the student’s tuition due on the account.   If any additional Title IV funds remain, a refund check will be generated by the Student Accounts department within  14 days of when the aid was applied to the student’s account.   To learn more about federal aid, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.

Credit balances from a Direct PLUS loan will be issued to the parent or responsible party who took out the loan if the borrower did not indicate that excess funds can be released to the student on the loan application.  Parents or responsible parties can still authorize the College to issue the check to the student if written authorization is received.  An email can be sent to

All students who receive financial aid are required to complete and turn in a Student Authorizations & Cash Management Form. All students are required to submit authorizations to the Office of Financial Aid in order to receive financial aid awards.

Payment on Account Credit

Payments received from third-party sponsors, private loans, or other payments received may be eligible for refund when the excess amount shows as a credit balance on the student’s account.  A refund request form is required in order for the Business Office to process the refund.  Please allow 7-10 business days for the Business Office to process your refund via direct deposit or check. 

Direct Deposit of Credit Refunds

Please submit your bank information online through your MyWhittier portal. On the "For Students" page, click the "Online Payment and Payment Plan" link and from there, you can sign up for direct deposit refund(s).

If your bank information is not on file with Whittier College at the time a refund request is made, a check will be mailed to the current mailing address.